Wednesday, January 18, 2012

An American Hero

Today, I got the opportunity to attend the funeral of Sgt. Brian Leonhardt, who was killed on Jan. 6 in Afghanistan.  I had never been to a military funeral before today, and I was very glad to get the opportunity.  It was a privilege to honor someone who had given his life to preserve our freedom.  I even had the honor of sitting with a friend of mine who was an Army sniper in Iraq.

The governor of Indiana and a general in the Army both spoke, along with Pastor Schaap.  Everything was first-class, as always at FBC Hammond.  It appeared to me that the lower floor was nearly full, so somewhere around 3,000 people were there.  Many people who did not even know Sgt. Leonhardt found themselves in tears before the service concluded with "Amazing Grace."

Perhaps the most touching of all to me were the people along the route from the church to the cemetery.  Many students from Hammond High School stood outside the school, waving flags and cheering.  I saw some familiar faces of students that I tutor on Wednesdays.  Along the route, not a few cars had parked and raised American flags.  Outside businesses, people stood in the cold holding flags.

The whole experience gave me a new appreciation for all those who serve and especially those who have given their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment